Noguchi Ujo’s Monuments Inscribed With His Poems
Noguchi Ujo was born in Nakago-mura (the present Kita-Ibaragi-shi) in Ibaragi Prefecture in 1882. He studied under Tsubo’uchi Shoyo, the then renowned novelist, playwright, literary critic, and translator of Shakespearean plays. Ujo was much interested in “shintaishi,” which is a poem following the western poetic style. He wrote many children’s songs, popular songs and folk songs. In 1918 he wrote “Sendo Ko’uta” that became a popular hit song. In 1921 he published “Jugoya Otsukisan,” which is a collection of children’s songs full of fork music flavor. “Nanatsu-no-ko” is one of the most popular songs among them. Since he came to Minamiise-cho, he wrote “Habu-no-minato,” “Tokyo Koshinkyoku,” and “Beniya-no-musume.” All of them were a great success and he established a reputation as a poet of many talents. Besides writing poems, he traveled extensively propagating folk songs and children’s songs. When he atayed in Minamiise-cho in July, 1936, he wrote “Gokasho-wan Ko’uta,” in which he tells the story of the ruins of Aisu Castle. In Minamiise-cho 14 locations have monuments with the inscription of his poems. His poems have a natural flow and are loved by many.
|住所||Minamiise-cho, Mie (14 locations)|